The Brotherly Agreement
The Brotherly Agreement was drawn up to promote the peace of the "Moravian" community at Herrnhut. Today Moravians endeavour to establish their fellowship in keeping with its spirit.
The Brotherly Agreement
1. The Triune God as revealed in the Holy Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments is the only source of our life and salvation; and this Scripture is the sole standard of the doctrine and faith of the Unitas Fratrum and therefore shapes our life.
2. The Bible shall be our constant study: We shall read it with prayer for the influence and teaching of the Holy Spirit.
3. We will faithfully attend the service in the House of God and any special services that may be held in connection with our Church. We will be diligent in private prayer and will practise and encourage family worship.
4. Realizing that we have been called into fellowship with our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, and being desirous that we shall be recognized as His followers, we shall conscientiously abstain from all amusements which would be inconsistent with the Christian life. We will avoid gambling of every kind.
5. Knowing that fornication, drunkenness and all other sins of the flesh are condemned in the Word of God, we will determine by His grace to live pure and morally upright lives.
6. Covetousness, dishonest practices in trade and wilful deceit are evils which are hindrances to the life of the Christians. These we will seek to avoid in our daily dealings with others.
7. We will earnestly oppose all superstition, obeahism and "false revivalism".
8. We will avoid envy, malice, revenge, strife, quarrelling and evil speaking. We will seek to be truthful and endeavour to live in the spirit of peace and good will to others, remembering that lying, profane language, such as swearing, abuse, unclean talk and all other sins of the tongue are contrary to the Spirit of Christ.
9. We acknowledge that it is our duty to obey the laws of the land in which we live, and we will endeavour to promote good citizenship.
10. We will endeavour to settle our differences with others in a Christian manner and only seek the aid of the courts of the law as a last resort and with the sanction of our ministers.
11. By our industry, sobriety and thrift, we will endeavour to erect proper houses and maintain good homes.
12. As parents and guardians we will bring up our children in a Christian manner and endeavour to secure for them the advantages of good education.
13. We believe it to be our duty as Christians to care for our aged parents and helpless members of our families, and at the same time to exercise public charity as it may be within our power to bestow.
14. As stewards of the gifts of God, we will support the spread of the Gospel at home and abroad by means of our tithes and freewill offerings.