Clifton Hill Celebrates 175 Years
On Sunday, June 26, 2016 the Clifton Hill Moravian Church in Barbados celebrated its 175th Anniversary with the theme, “Following the Lamb: Transforming Lives and Communities.” A well-attended service and Lovefeast was held in the afternoon at 4:00 pm.
Rev. Vera Waithe, the Pastor of the congregation and Superintendent of the Moravian Church—Barbados Conference delivered the sermon. She challenged those in attendance and the congregation in particular to (1) Reflect, (2) Reposition—given the times we are in, and (3) Serve the world.
Renditions were performed by an augmented Choir, one of the oldest active members of the congregation, Sis Kathleen Bruce, the Sunday School, the Men’s Fellowship and the Women’s Fellowship.
Clifton Hill was the fourth Mission Station to be established by the Moravian Church in Barbados on lands donated by the nearby estates of Mt. Wilton and Clifton. A resident, Mr. Trotman gave land on which to build a school. In 1839, the corner stone was laid by Bro. Hart Headley, a Moravian from the district.
It was dedicated in June 1839 and started out as a "Chapel of Ease", administered from Sharon. In 1841, Clifton Hill became a fully established congregation with the transfer of members from Sharon and the arrival of Bro. William Humberstone as resident missionary.